Dirt City Zine is a collective voice of talented individuals and creative scenes who breathe energy into the Daytona Beach, FL and Phoenix, AZ metro areas. The purpose is to serve as a community resource by welcoming new forms of artful expression, with hopes of our articles feeding and inspiring each reader's own creative aura. If you want to keep up with the skateboard world... link up below at sk8dirtcityzine.blogspot.com.

6.16.2008

Interview w/ Jewelist and Artist: Maleah Duncan

I love interviews like this: positive, ACTIVE, role models; we need more of them, especially for girls! Graceful, real, self-seeking, helper, free-spirited, wife, and obviously creative, these are the words that come to mind when thinking of Maleah’s demeanor and creations, without having met her personally. Well, we did once at art cafĂ© in Cocoa, and didn’t know it at the time. I have heard lots of good things about her, from the jewelry and paintings, to the lifestyle she leads with her husband, Matt. She calls her work, “Maleah by the Sea”.
~ Morgan McDole


"I love to surf, ride my bike super fast, play in my garden, paint cool stuff, garage sale, laugh like crazy, dream, pursue God's Kingdom here on earth and share what that is all about. Share my story with people, so they can see how real God is, and how He takes us through life's hardest challenges hand in hand."~ Maleah Duncan






Interview w/ Maleah Duncan: Owner/ Creator of “Maleah by the Sea”- Click Heading to see more of her work.

Where did you grow up, where do you live now?
I grew up in Lakeland, to San Diego, to Asheville, to the Outer Banks and now I am back living in Florida, St. Augustine that is.

DCZ: What is the name of your company?
Maleah Duncan: “Maleah by the Sea”

DCZ: How long have you been painting and making jewelry?
Maleah: I have been painting since college and doing jewelry for about 3 years. These young, local North Shore girls got me into it. I started making earrings for me to wear, and then after enough requests, I began getting accounts to sell them.

DCZ: What got you started?
Maleah: I love to make things with my hands, design with bold colors and new creations. Playing around is what got me started. The same is with painting or distressing furniture, taking something and making something totally new out of it. I love the process and seeing the finished product. It is what gives me that satisfaction inside through creativity.


DCZ:What else are you into?
Maleah: I am into traveling...I am heading to Nicaragua in a month to visit a whole bunch of friends who are heading there at the same time. It is a gift from my husband since I am turning 30 in July....that is crazy!!! I love to surf, ride my bike super fast, play in my garden, paint cool stuff, garage sale, laugh like crazy, dream, pursue God's Kingdom here on earth and share what that is all about. Share my story with people, so they can see how real God is, and how He takes us through life's hardest challenges hand in hand.

DCZ: Who or what inspires your work?
Maleah: Creation inspires my work. All that God already made and we get to enjoy. I love His color pallete.. i am just an ol' copy cat!! he he he

DCZ: Is there a purpose behind your work, something that drives you? Maleah: My purpose in everything when I am really living through my giftings, is to bring GOD glory...so people can see Him in me. I, on my own, am lame and rude but when I am living for Him love somehow comes out of me. I am so much cooler in Him.

DCZ: If you had a piece of advice for an artist who was going to try and make a living off their work, what would you say?
Maleah: Be helpful to other artists, try to push others along, make good lasting connections, and be generous. In the beginning, you can't expect to make high dollar on your work. Get involved in charity or auctions that have a good cause behind them. Let people see you connected with helping others and using your gifts for greater purposes. Give and you will always get back MORE!! You will also get attention and people will see your work out there. It's a great way to start.

DCZ: How much does what’s going on in your life reflect in your work?
Maleah: Tons! When I am full of new experiences and adventure then I am motivated to work through those avenues. If I am going through hard times, I am not into my art but distracted. I think I need to push out of some of those ruts that I can fall into and just do my art no matter what and see what comes from some of those less blissful places. I tend to put it on the shelf but hopefully that will change:)

DCZ: Name one experience in your life that has played a major part in who you are today?
Maleah: Through some really hard circumstances that I have been through in my life, I have gotten really low and depressed. Hopeless is a good word for it. I have broken and crumbled and had to choose hope, joy, faith and will power to pull myself out. That isn't an easy place to climb out of, but it has made me realize that my only hope is Jesus. Who He says I am, my identity, purpose and choosing to live from Heaven to Earth has given me a new call towards destiny. I want to share all about our high calling and the passion of living in this life. It is so great and God is so good!

DCZ: Name one experience in your life that has played a major part in how you think today?
Maleah: My dad's suicide three years ago. When the reality of brokenness is in your face, and you see that there is a darkness in this world that wants to kill and steal your soul, then you realize that you only have one choice in this world to fight or to give up. Life isn't to be lived rolling along in complacency and mediocrity. Nothing satisfies. New clothes are great for a few days, a new car for a month or two, a good meal for an hour, a new boyfriend for a season.…we always think this or that is going to make us truely happy and satisfied, but only God gives fulfillment and makes your longing soul to find its rest. That is what I have learned, and I am thankful that God knows how much we can handle. He obviously knew that I could handle this, and would grow from it. God didn't say it would be easy but He did say that he would never leave us or forget us.


DCZ: Describe yourself.
Maleah: I am a goofy girl, love to make people laugh, sometimes too serious and a perfectionist (this annoys me!), I fear to fail but realize that is just lame and won't do me good, I love doing spontaneous things, camping out, motivation people to pursue new things....I was always called the "Pied Piper" growing up by my mom. I am pretty easy going and love going hard at things.

DCZ: What is it about what you do that you think feeds your soul?
Maleah: Just doing what I love to do, taking care of my husband and my home, reading books that stretch my mind and actions, surfing and taking long walks.

DCZ: Talk about the married life?
Maleah: It was a tough start but it really brought me to my knees and made me realize that taking captive of negative thoughts isn't just a quote it is serious business. Our mind affects our actions. So I just continue to live in thankfulness that my husband is a good man, respectful, honors me and shows me love through his actions. Keeping my mind on positive things and thinking the best of him, helps me to live honorably for him. Putting God first in our marriage/friendship and praying together is an important asset. Growing to fulfill our destiny, together, is something that keeps us totally connected and fueled. Marriage is to bring out the best in us and that is also by showing us things in ourselves that have to be removed for it to work. We all got junk in the trunk. Mine was bad!! HAH!


DCZ: Is your husband supportive?
Maleah: OHH yeah!

DCZ: At what point did you decide to take the entrepreneurial lifestyle on full-time?
Maleah: I think it will always be a part of my life but not the whole. I have a lot of things other than my art that I feel very passionate about. All the pieces, including my art, come together to make the total. It is a calling card God has given me. It is a big part because I was made to do art, but I was also made to be a good wife and someday a good momma. So it will be something I will always love to do and it supports our income, humbly:)!

DCZ: What is next in your future? Dreams? Plans for yourself?
Maleah: My next plans are to set up more accounts and also seek a place to serve alongside my husband. We are looking forward to that, and have been in prayer over it.

DCZ: Do you have any art shows coming up?
Maleah: Not yet.

DCZ: Where can people purchase your product, or check it out?
Maleah: Go to my myspace site: www. myspace. com/maleahbythesea, so you can see some of my work, jewelry, and make purchases if you see something you gotta have!

DCZ: Okay, who are some people you’d like to thank thus far in your life?
Maleah: Momma, Grandma and Grandpa, and Matt Duncan the love of my life!

5 comments:

  1. What a great moment of reading blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Im Inspired again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuts, daw palagpat imo blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive read this topic for some blogs. But I think this is more informative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yugs, daw nabasahan ko naman ni sa iban nga blog?

    ReplyDelete