Dirt City Zine is a collective voice of talented individuals and creative scenes who breathe energy into the Daytona Beach, FL and Phoenix, AZ metro areas. The purpose is to serve as a community resource by welcoming new forms of artful expression, with hopes of our articles feeding and inspiring each reader's own creative aura. If you want to keep up with the skateboard world... link up below at sk8dirtcityzine.blogspot.com.

2.01.2008

Featured Artist: Interview Chris Ladwig







“I sell the shoes I paint on for $75, and I include the shoe.” Chris Ladwig

….Now that’s a business man.

I had Driver’s Ed with Chris Ladwig, and don’t think he paid much attention. But I do remember his fabulous drawings during class. A little more fashionable, now I see him passing in the halls occasionally at DBCC, but still the same Chris. He is going far. He’s got talent, goals, and drive.

“If I got to sit down and write out my dream occupation and have it come true, it would be: running a major clothing line of my own, designing in the mass media, having a some kind of reputation in the music industry for either recording or songwriting, and founding a charity or foundation in my brothers name helping kids with cancer and their families.” CL

MM: You have been drawing and painting for a while, what is your favorite medium to work with?

CL: My favorite medium to date would have to be paint. It’s so versatile to me, I can use it obviously on a canvas; I use it on shoes; I use it when I make a stencil for a t-shirt, and really there’s no limit to it; it will go on anything.

MM: Name some of the various art projects you have been involved with…. for instance, music, shoes, tattoo designs?

CL: Art projects would include: sign painting, tattoo design, t-shirt design, web design, my shoe paintings, bass drum heads, band t's, screen-printing, running a home recording studio with my brother. I’m even helping a recording studio in Deland with its interior design and architectural concept.

MM: What else occupies your time?

CL: My day mainly consists of running my lawn business, cutting grass, school, hanging out with my girlfriend, and either painting on a shoe or writing/recording some kind of song.

MM: Art you more passionate about music or art design?

CL: Where I’m at right now in life, art is probably consuming most of my brain. I have a lot of ideas and aspirations toward art and design right now; music is a huge part of who I identify myself with, but currently my focus is school and art.

MM: Ultimately, what would you like to do with your talents?

CL: If I got to sit down and write out my dream occupation and have it come true, it would be: running a major clothing line of my own, designing in the mass media, having a some kind of reputation in the music industry for either recording or songwriting, and founding a charity or foundation in my brothers name helping kids with cancer and their families.

MM: How did you start painting on shoes?

CL: My older brother handed me a pair of slip-ons he bought, when we were playing a concert up in Jacksonville. He told me, "Paint something cool on it.” So, I painted some little tattoo-like picture in 10 minutes, and everyone who saw them, loved them.

MM: How much do you sell them for?

CL: I sell the shoes I paint on for $75, and I include the shoe.

MM: Where can people check out your work and contact you?

CL: My only contact right now is through my Myspace. You can see just about all the shoes I’ve done so far on there, but there’s a few missing. myspace.com/thehotballs

MM: What is your current project or focus right now?

CL: I’m finishing up a project for the band Paramore; I’m painting shoes for each member, and probably by the time this is posted they will be done.

MM: About how long does it take you to finish a shoe? Describe the process.

CL: With the shoes, I would say 98% of the time people will come to me, and tell me what they want on them. If they don’t have any reference pictures, then I will go research the things they want to get an idea of what it looks like, and how to accurately draw it. Next, I draw out a few concept ideas, and when I find one I like, I start painting it on the shoes. Depending on what I paint on the shoe… it can take me anywhere from a day to a month; most of it, is getting the right composition and the right figures. But, the actual paint time usually takes me about 5-6 hours. A lot of the art is original images that I create from listening to what the people want. I think only 2 people have actually handed me a picture and said, “I want that”; the rest of the time, people just describe a concept, and I take it from there.

MM: Do you have a favorite subject, like dragons or trees? …. inspiration?

CL: I don’t think I have a specific image I like to draw best. Mostly what I enjoy is something colorful, and realistic, with a tattoo feel to it.

MM: Have you had any major influences, such as artists, friends, teachers, etc.?

CL: As far as influences go, I would say Van Gogh for sure; I love his color. My friends are a huge influence; I love to hear their ideas and how they would do it. And, I’m really influenced by color schemes.

MM: What’s the hardest part about being a freelance artist?

CL: The hardest thing for me is that I haven’t really had the time to go out and promote myself as a freelance artist. So far, everything I’ve done was because I was approached by someone who heard from a friend; or, just word of mouth, really. So, once I feel I have ample experience and knowledge, and time, I will be able to market and promote myself.

MM: If you had an ideal studio, what would it contain in it?

CL: If I had an ideal art studio, it would contain a huge screen-print press with all the equipment needed to make my own shirts, an awesome space to paint and do my projects, and a huge space in the front to have a gallery.

MM: Oh yeah, how old are you and how long have you been in Daytona Beach?

CL: Also, I’m 23, and have lived in Port Orange (Daytona Beach) my whole life.

1 comment: