Dirt City Zine is a collective voice of talented individuals and creative scenes who breathe energy into the Daytona Beach, FL and Phoenix, AZ metro areas. The purpose is to serve as a community resource by welcoming new forms of artful expression, with hopes of our articles feeding and inspiring each reader's own creative aura. If you want to keep up with the skateboard world... link up below at sk8dirtcityzine.blogspot.com.

2.08.2008

“Mindless sketches, pointless drawings, and neurotic paintings”

"I paint because I like to. I don’t give a shit whether you appreciate it or not."
-RexNickles. Artist’s statement. 2007



Jedidiah/RedTails show. daytona. 6/07.

"Rex Nickles (d.o.b 8-4-86) has no formal art training or degrees, failed his high school art classes, and refuses to go to college.
works freelance, mainly the gallery circuit between Southern California and Central Florida.
has been drawing since childhood. Highly influenced by the sunday comics in the Detroit Free Press (primarily Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County), and the illustrations of Stephen Gammell, contained within the Scary Stories to tell in the Dark childrens book series.
Due to a heavy interest in psychology, and multiple stints within psychiatric institutions, most images are drawn autonomically, while others display subliminal overtones." - http://rexnickles.homestead.com/training.html

Self Portrait (2005)

Aly: Hardly any of your work is done on actual canvas; Ever thought of painting body parts?
Rex: Yes, but I’ve got a reputation for being a creepy person, so I don’t bother asking.

Aly: What is your favorite medium to work with?
Rex: I really like India ink right now. I never stick with one certain medium when making a piece though. Everything I do is a mixed media project.

Aly: Have you done any experimenting recently? (Like what you did with the glass)
Rex: Not with materials, but I’ve been using different techniques lately. I’m trying to make things messier, and less structured.

Mt.Clemens Mindset.(2007) 38x12.glass


Aly: How long have you being interested in and doing art?
Rex: All my life. I did ALOT of finger painting for a kid. Then I started making my own comic strips when I was 5, because I was obsessed wit the Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes, and Bloom County. Then when I was 12, I started skateboarding; I would buy blank decks just so I could make my own graphics, and then t-shirts. I fell into the "Professional art world" by accident. I had some paintings that I made to spite my art teacher that I put up online.

Aly: What are a few of your biggest influences?
Rex: Stephen Gammell, crime scene photographs, Warhol, Templeton, Basquiat, the Beautiful Losers crew, Graffiti, and anyone doing something worth looking at in the current contemporary art scene.


Neighborhood (NA) (2005)private collection of K.Brubaker


Aly: Where do you want to be in 10 years?
Rex: California, being super rich and mean to everyone.

Aly: Name some of the various art projects you have been involved with…. for instance, music, clothing, tattoo designs?
Rex: I'm right now (literally) trying to get a hold of this guy in Philly who was supposed to put out a sweater I’m designing for his Clothing company, but I’ve been so busy with all these shows, I’ve spaced on the project. I'm showing 4 pieces this Friday in a week long show in a Downtown Deland Gallery/Cafe'. Then I’m doing another show at the same place this April where I’ll be showing 12+ pieces for a 2 man show.
I got a few shows lined up in California later this year, and a few other projects I’m currently working on with other venues. So I’m busy.

Yellow Warbler (prints $15) (2007)private collection of A.Bowen

Aly: Normally, how long do you tend to spend on one piece?
Rex: However long it takes till I feel it’s done. I try and keep it under 12 hours.

Introsynthesis (prints $20) (2007)private collection of N.Alenikoff

Aly: Do you feel accomplished? Or satisfied?
Rex: I’m starting to. I’m starting to come to terms with what I’m capable of now that I’ve got a decent work history.

Aly: What’s the hardest part about being a freelance artist?
Rex: Having to work a full time job in order to support yourself.

Motown (2007)private collection of J.Donali

Aly: What do you do with most of your work?
Rex: Sell it or give it away. There’s no point in me keeping it. i made it for fucks sake, what am i gonna use it for?

Aly: How does it feel when you walk into a friend's house and see your painting on their wall?
Rex: Awkward

inversion boards (2007)

Aly: Do you feel your talents are progressing?
Rex: Maybe not talents, but my artistic vision is starting to translate better. I’m happy with what I do

Aly: Is there anything I haven't asked about that you want known?
Rex: Fame tastes good.


Utah 2AM (NA-2007)private collection of P.Rizzo


Detroit, Jan.26-1978 (2007)


Spring Virus (NA) (2007)private collection of N.Alenikoff


Contributor (2007)


Isotope (2007)


"available for shows, gallery and private use, commissioned work
murals, drafting, and templating. for information,
contact: Rexnickles@aol.com
or find me on MySpace like a fucking retard by searching RexNickles@aol.com"

19 comments:

  1. bought one of these on a tee from hot topic for my 10 year old great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. hackneyed and half-assed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big plate of lame with a side of lame sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, I came here for the same reason as the others above. I don't know how K-Mart is in the US, but a number of these pictures look exactly like the sort of designs you see on the front of shirts in the kids section of K-Mart here in Australia. It's that lame Tim Burton-watching 'I'm kooky' style that you and an endless number of high school girls from 1996 share... And the 'I'm interesting because I've been in psychiatric wards/I take medication' shtick is something a 15-year-old goth girl usually grows out of by 16...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gotta admire his "fight" tho.. especially when all he has behind him is this shit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. makes me less nervous about getting some work out in the open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "...and multiple stints in psychiatric institutions"

    borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiing

    Protip: if you're looking for fame, you'll need something more original. That goes for your attitude, content and of course, the work itself. At this point, like a previous poster said, you're like Tim Burton -- except a lot shittier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After you go to art school you should take some lessons in documenting your artwork because your photos blow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yea dude dont shit in the water your trying to swim in. nobody likes haters, despite what you think you know about the art world (cafe shows, seriously?)no one gets behind pricks, especially when their work looks like something i did in middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is horrible work. You have no idea what you are talking about or doing. You sound like an angsty teen and your work confirms it. I absolutely cannot believe that anyone would even believe that you didn't conduct this interview yourself. The questions are absurd and it is obvious that no one would want to interview you, but you. Your drawings have all already been drawn before, and the people who drew them made money and now that is over. You are arrogant and talentless. Get your head out of your ass and get a real job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like everyone else here, only checked out dochie's work cos he was being was pretending to be such a brilliant artist on Fecalface. One of my favorite parts:
    Aly: Have you done any experimenting recently? (Like what you did with the glass)
    Rex: Not with materials, but I’ve been using different techniques lately. I’m trying to make things messier, and less structured.

    HAHAHAHAHA good idea idiot. who even is asking the questions, your mom?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Due to a heavy interest in psychology, and multiple stints within psychiatric institutions, most images are drawn autonomically, while others display subliminal overtones."

    1. Subliminal overtones?
    2.Subliminal overtones of what?

    ReplyDelete
  13. rex, you have zero talent. i'm not even trying to be mean or anything. my advice for you is to stop pretending that anyone cares about your drawings and just keep them to yourself. you just are not a good artist in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. holy crap he painted on a skate board! i've never seen that

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahaha
    Aly: Is there anything I haven't asked about that you want known?
    Rex: Fame tastes good.

    dude, has anybody heard of this guy, let alone would ever think about purchasing this?

    i think you should submit some work to the MOBA, google it and youll understand
    maybe they'd appreciate this shit

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, Rex,

    Looks like your art is working. See how worked up this guy "anonymous" is? You have provoked a large amount of emotion and for an artist, that is success. They don't call is FecalFace for nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, he's a success if success is being a lame twat and getting called out for it...

    ReplyDelete