Dirt City Zine is a collective voice of talented individuals and creative scenes who breathe energy into the Daytona Beach, FL and Phoenix, AZ metro areas. The purpose is to serve as a community resource by welcoming new forms of artful expression, with hopes of our articles feeding and inspiring each reader's own creative aura. If you want to keep up with the skateboard world... link up below at sk8dirtcityzine.blogspot.com.

6.10.2008

Dirt City Sighting


DirtCityHub.org will soon be dressing you up! All proceeds are going to the Dirt City Missions effort.
This is Lindsey McDole, she is a Dirt City native, but also my sister, so I made she and my dad represent, as they drove cross country a few weeks ago. She is wearing the "Dirt City Pool Coping" logo created by Dug Ketterman. Read about the trip below.

Got to keep on moving ..or stop moving

Someone once told me home is where the heart is. I
thought that was just some stupid saying , but for the
past year I have been longing to return to Florida.
After living in California for 7 years I realized my
heart was still in Florida. The hoards of people ,
cold water, high-end fashion, and busy lifestyle
started to get to me.
Well all it took once a phone call home and my dad and
I set off for the open road.
Day 1
New Mexico here we come. The stretch from San Diego
to New Mexico is not the most scenic route. Besides a
bunch of cactus and boulders there isn't much else to
see. Route 10 was about as desolate as they come , so
we managed to entertain ourselves by singing to Tim
McGraw and Dixie Chicks for 5 hours. I think my dad
was about to open the door and sling himself on the
pavement for insanity.
Day 2
We landed camp in Kerrville, Texas. Cowboy boots and
spurs surrounded the only restaurant in town,
McDonald's. I soon realized my days of eating healthy
were over.
The town shut down about 8pm and the local sheriff was
the only person around . Everyone in Texas is real
nice and most people take pride in their state. Must
be because everything is big in Texas. I noticed the
trucks, churches, and women's hair to be unsually
large.
Day 3
Still driving east towards GulfPort Mississippi.
Louisiana and Mississippi feel like another country.
The people are borderline twilght zone. It is hard to
explain, but when you see a gal sitting on a toilet
seat as a makeshift boat seat you have to wonder what
is going on in that persons head. Let's just say I
had my dose of middle America for awhile.
Day 4
Florida ..let there be light.
The last day was about 580 miles. We went through
Alabama briefly and headed down the coast of Florida
for the last 6 hours of our trip.
Finally there were trees and 7'11's! As we drove over
the Dunlatwon Bridge my dad said he had never thought
FL looked like paradise until now. Clean water, sandy
beaches, and people with a full set of teeth. Yes,
that is paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment