Dirt City Zine is a collective voice of talented individuals and creative scenes who breathe energy into the Daytona Beach, FL and Phoenix, AZ metro areas. The purpose is to serve as a community resource by welcoming new forms of artful expression, with hopes of our articles feeding and inspiring each reader's own creative aura. If you want to keep up with the skateboard world... link up below at sk8dirtcityzine.blogspot.com.

8.12.2008

A Game Called Life.

A Game Called Life.

“Never sacrifice a passion, but rather make sacrifices for it.”

There comes a time in life when a sacrifice has to be made, and usually it is to keep a roof over head, the electric on, gas in the car, and a few apples in the fridge (the necessities). The sacrifice I’m talking about is most likely your passion, putting it off to the side in order to make a living (ya know the thing you spend doing 40 hours a week, every week of your life!). If you don’t have the luxury of paying your way through life, well, you only have one choice, to find another way to get there. First I suggest, finding a job or appreciating the one you have, because it is your bread and butter; secondly, discover your resources (the biggest one- is yourself); thirdly, start sacrificing time to get where you want to be; and, oh yeah, hang in there.

Now, anyone that knows me knows I always have something going. It’s a blessing and a curse to have non-stop creative inspiration and ideas. A blessing when there is a direction, a curse when it is every which way. I sort of see my life as jambalaya…before it’s a dish. I always had an idea of what I wanted to do, but it never quite came together until I collaborated with a few friends and started Dirt City. But once I did, things rolled, and because I have sacrificed for personal projects and endeavors before, I had a bit of wisdom and much new found wisdom this time. So, in another words, I guess you can say, nothing is ever wasted. Here are a few that stick out at the moment.

The old wisdom was how to actually enjoy a project. I used to focus so much on the goal, that I missed the whole journey. I also took others and myself too seriously. Now I see the beauty in working as a whole, when others come together to make something happen, it can be a really good time.

The newly found wisdom came with my first investment…. ha ha. I put a few things on the credit card, and well, lets just say my dad helped me out. Granted it was around $600.00, but I also had some dental work, I didn’t exactly have $2,000.00 set aside for (my insurance pulled a fast one…glad I’m seeing that come out of the pay check every month).

The credit card makes us live beyond our means in an untimely fashion. Of course, it does have its benefits, like when you can’t afford a necessity, or just need to buy a little time for a payment. But, now, what I try is this, if I need more money to invest, well, that means my standard of living goes down (ex. a few more roommates, no new clothes, eating out less, riding my bike to work, picking up an extra job on the wknd…)

At anyrate, in these last 8 months (when Dirt City Zine came together) I would not trade a moment. As for the team- Aly, Erik, Dug, and I- even better. We are making ideas manifest on virtually nothing, because we share a passion, to give, make things happen, and share life with others- true to ourselves- straight up. Needless to say, we don’t know all the blessings and lessons that are in store for us, but we have learned to love this game called Life. So, Dirt City Zine- now also Dirt City Missions, Inc., is proof if you need it, to never sacrifice a passion, but rather make sacrifices for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment